|“||Thou canst not kill that which doth not live. But you can blast it into chunky kibbles.||”|
In Quake, a Zombie is an undead human that tears chunks of flesh from its head, hindquarters and crotch before proceeding to toss them at the player character for minor damage. The chunks disappear instantly if they collide with an opponent, but stick to walls and other surfaces for a second. The chunks are thrown in an arc, meaning that their opponents can evade these projectiles as long as they remain outside of the throwing range.
Zombies can only be permanently killed by Gibbing them. Normally, this is achieved with either a Grenade or Rocket Launcher, although almost all weapons will do it after picking up a Quad Damage. Trying to kill a Zombie any other way will simply result in it getting right back up again.
Sometimes, Zombies are used as a decoration. These Crucified Zombies are not considered Enemies for the player's kill counter in the tally screen after a level (and are impossible to kill anyways). Overall they are harmless, stuck crucified to walls, and forced to moan continuously as they writhe in pain.
- Alone, a Zombie is extremely easy to kill. Just gib it with an explosive weapon and go on your way. A group of Zombies is much more dangerous, but can be handled the same way, just try to aim at the "center" Zombie so that the explosive hits and gibs the other Zombies around it.
- With other Enemies, the Zombie can be pretty easy to kill, depending on your location. If you're in a large area, just back up and shoot an explosive at it. The splash damage will gib it and harm any nearby enemies. If you're in a somewhat tight area, try to take out a few enemies so that you can move around, then gib it.
- Like the Ogres, the Zombies only aim horizontally to throw gibs. If a Zombie is in higher or lower location, it will not hit the player.
- With a Quad Damage pickup, attacks from any weapon, except for Nailgun, will likely gib a Zombie.
- Most other enemies cannot kill a Zombie; the Zombie will simply get back up again. However, a Vore's pod, the Shambler's melee attack, and the Spawn explosion can gib a Zombie. (The Ogre's grenade, though, deals 40 damage, which is not enough to slay a Zombie. Its chainsaw, which deals 49 damage, is also too weak to gib a Zombie). Most monsters engaged in fights against Zombies are incapacitated, either because they're unable to kill them, causing them to fight Zombies endlessly, or because the Zombie eventually lands enough shots to kill their attackers.
- If you lack a Grenade or Rocket Launcher, the best option is to simply run away. Most maps with Zombies also have something to deal with them, though it may be found later in the mission.
- "Player" joins the Zombies
- E1M3: the Necropolis
- E1M6: The Door to Chthon
- E1M7: The House of Chthon (Inaccessible, die upon completion)
- E2M2: the Ogre Citadel
- E2M3: the Crypt of Decay
- E2M4: the Ebon Fortress
- E2M6: the Dismal Oubliette
- E2M7: the Underearth
- E3M2: The Vaults of Zin
- E3M3: the Tomb of Terror
- E3M4: Satan's Dark Delight
- E3M7: the Haunted Halls
- E4M3: The Elder God Shrine
- E4M5: Hell's Atrium
- E4M7: Azure Agony
- E4M8: the Nameless City
|The Zombie being aware of threat|
|The Zombie launching its projectile|
|The Zombie's projectile hitting somebody|
|The Zombie misfiring its projectile|
|The Zombie being injured|
|The Zombie collapsing|
|The Zombie being gibbed|
|Bosses||Chthon · Shub-Niggurath|
|Barriers and Hazards||Button · Door · Electric Pylon · Falling Spike · Guillotine · Lava · Laser Trap · Movable Wall · Nail Trap · Radioactive Container · Slime · Spiked Sphere · Teleporter · Unholy Altar · Water · Wind Tunnel|
|Level Exits||Arch · Exit Gate · Rune Gate · Slipgate|
|Powerups||15 Health · 25 Health · 100 Health · Armor(Green)(Yellow)(Red) · Biosuit · Key · Pentagram of Protection · Quad Damage · Ring of Shadows · Rune|
|Weapons||Axe · Shotgun · Double-Barrelled Shotgun · Nailgun · Super Nailgun · Grenade Launcher · Rocket Launcher · Thunderbolt|
|Ammo||Shells · Nails · Rockets · Cells|
|Source ports||GLQuake · GLQuakeWorld · QuakeWorld · VQuake · WinQuake|
|Other||Crate · Dopefish|