24 if all 6 pellets connect
Pump-action, Direct fire
|Rate of Fire||
2 shots per second (120 shots per minute)
|“||The basic gun, to which all other guns compare favorably.||”|
The pump-action Shotgun is the starting Weapon in Quake. Players always spawn in with it, 25 Shells and an Axe. Generally weaker than the other weapons, the Shotgun is nonetheless a decent default weapon which can be used to acquire a more powerful weapon. The Shotgun and Double-Barrelled Shotgun are the only hitscan weapons in the game.
- You'll always spawn with it at the start of every episode, with 25 Shells.
- It can down a Grunt and Rottweiler in two shots and an Enforcer and Knight in four shots, so it's pretty powerful against them. It is also effective against a Scrag.
- The Shotgun can be used as a long-range weapon when you're out of Nails. Even though the Shotgun has a somewhat-large spread, it will still land a few shots on a target. This is usefull against Shamblers make sure you get in a safe distance from the monster, At best you won't take any damage if done correctly, But due to the shotgun's rather low damage you will spend a significant amount of shells.
- Shells are very plentiful in most levels, so don't worry about using them up.
- Because of its decent rate of fire & somewhat tight bullet spread, this weapon can be used as a pretty effective medium-range weapon, especially if the player is conserving ammo for the other weapons.
- In multiplayer, the Shotgun should only be used to take pot-shots at occupied targets while you're running to a better weapon.
- Rushing a target with it is suicide, as they'll almost always have a better weapon. If you only have it and the Double-Barrelled Shotgun, use it as the long-range weapon, as the Double-Barrelled Shotgun ineffective past medium range.
- While not powerful, it is a hitscan weapon along with the Double-Barrelled Shotgun, meaning that shots are instantaneous. Getting a Quad Damage can compensate for the shotgun's lack of power, while an enemy swimming in water moves slowly and can be repeated hit with the shotgun.
- Player chewed on Attacker's boomstick
- As a default weapon and not a pickup, the Shotgun is one of the only two weapons in Quake that does not possess a world model (the other being the Axe).
- Quake's shotgun model seems to be based around a Remington 870, but with a shorter barrel.
- The boomstick death message is a reference to a line spoken by Ash(Evil Dead Series) in the movie Army Of Darkness to describe his Shotgun.
|Bosses||Chthon · Shub-Niggurath|
|Barriers and Hazards||Button · Door · Electric Pylon · Falling Spike · Guillotine · Lava · Laser Trap · Movable Wall · Nail Trap · Radioactive Container · Slime · Spiked Sphere · Teleporter · Unholy Altar · Water · Wind Tunnel|
|Level Exits||Arch · Exit Gate · Rune Gate · Slipgate|
|Powerups||15 Health · 25 Health · 100 Health · Armor(Green)(Yellow)(Red) · Biosuit · Key · Pentagram of Protection · Quad Damage · Ring of Shadows · Rune|
|Weapons||Axe · Shotgun · Double-Barrelled Shotgun · Nailgun · Super Nailgun · Grenade Launcher · Rocket Launcher · Thunderbolt|
|Ammo||Shells · Nails · Rockets · Cells|
|Source ports||GLQuake · GLQuakeWorld · QuakeWorld · VQuake · WinQuake|
|Other||Crate · Dopefish|