|Damage Per Hit||
120 units splash damage radius
|Rate of Fire||
75 rpm (1 Rocket every 800 milliseconds)
Extremely long range of 13,500 units
In Quake 3 Arena, the Rocket Launcher, or "RL", fires powerful rockets. These generate Splash Damage, which do damage around the rocket's point of impact. The Rocket Launcher is a popular weapon, so expect some resistance when trying to get it. When someone kills someone with a Rocket Launcher, the game summary will announce something like "Grunt ate Bitterman's rocket." on direct hit kills or "Wrack almost dodged Gorre's rocket." on splash damage kills.
- Because the Rocket launcher's usefulness, it's often a hotly-contested weapon. Expect some resistance if you are going for it, especially in FFA mode, which everyone you face is hostile. Even at large open areas or cluttered spaces, RL can be a dominant weapon at any arena.
- Due to Quake 3's fast-paced nature, it can be incredibly difficult to directly hit a target with a direct rocket at long distances. Instead, utilize the rocket's splash damage by hitting your target's feet. While this usually won't kill them in one shot, it can do a lot of damage. It usually takes around two to three rockets near a target to kill him. Aim at the ground and walls near him.
- Strafe aim and movement flow has a great effects on rocket's path. With some close observation and mathcrafting it's months of work to figure out the Rockets' flight path and timing with experience. Don't abuse jumpshots beyond close quarters until you get the hang of RL accuracy at long distances. As player experience grows, RL shots will be more accurate at greater distances.
- Standard player speed is a third of the standard rocket flight speed. That means rocket covers the same distance in one second, where it takes player 3 seconds to reach on a flat terrain. That flight time obviously changes within' the angle you shoot, distance and movement pattern differences between you and your foe in real combat.
- If you're up against somebody that has the Rocket Launcher, get away from them. The RL is ineffective past close quarters because of the rocket's speed. When you're out of range, take out a weapon more suited for medium or long range, such as the Plasma Gun or the Railgun.
- When figting against a RL, make sure you're not near a wall or in tight spaces because a rocket that hits a solid surface near you will inflict splash damage, and the RL user may decide to flood the room with blasts.
- Rocket Launchers can be used as an area denial weapon, keep your foe from entering a location and blast it out, you can also use the rockets to cover important items or hold choke points to force opponent to take another path.
- Don't try to shoot people sniping with a Railgun from afar. Skilled or not, the opponent will simply sidestep away from your rockets and retaliate with accurate fire. Try to utilize splash damage against them by gaining height advantage instead.
- Grenade blobs of Grenade Launcher (Q3) can be set off by a RL shot. Especially effective in a 1v1 scenario, blocking opponent's access to an important area from narrow gates or corners when used right. Preferred to quickly block access to areas or corners from close ranges without waiting for fuse time.
- Only use rocket-jump tactic in desperate situations or when you need to get to higher ground quickly, remember that combine this with quad damage will amplify the effect, but the risk is much higher as well.
- Try not to use the Rocket Launcher at very close range, as you may take splash damage, or even killed by your own rocket. Switch to the Shotgun, Machine Gun or Lightning Gun to avoid this.
- If you are low on health and in a situation where you know you're almost definitely about to die, simply pull out the rocket launcher and fire randomly. If someone's that close to killing you, then blind fury can often triumph over strategic attacks. Just don't aim too close to the ground or walls as you may kill yourself, something particularly undesirable in FFA mode.
- If a enemy is using Flight give up and try a different weapons such as machine guns to kill them. The slow rocket speed means unless the enemy is going towards your rocket you will never hit him/her.
- In Wolfenstein: The New Order, the Rocket Launcher can be seen hanging from a keychain during the opening sequence of Chapter 6. Additionally, it can also be seen in the opening sequence of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood also hanging from a keychain.
|Characters||Anarki · Angel · Biker · Bitterman · Bones · Cadaver · Crash · Daemia · Doom · Gorre · Grunt · Hossman · Hunter · Keel · Klesk · Lucy · Major · Mynx · Orbb · Patriot · Phobos · Ranger · Razor · Sarge · Slash · Sorlag · Stripe · Tank Jr. · Uriel · Visor · Wrack · Xaero|
|Weapons||BFG 10K · Gauntlet · Grenade Launcher · Lightning Gun · Machine Gun · Plasma Gun · Railgun · Rocket Launcher · Shotgun|
|Powerups||Armor(Light)(Heavy) · Armor Shard · Battle Suit · Flight · Haste · Invisibility · Megahealth · Personal Medkit · Quad Damage · Regeneration · Stimpack · Teleporter|