|Damage Per Hit||
100-120 [direct impact]
|“||The rocket launcher delivers heavy fire power to your target. Be careful not use this weapon in close combat.||”|
—The Quake II Manual
The Rocket Launcher, or "RL", fires powerful rockets that generate a large radius of splash damage when they strike something. A launched rocket can be somewhat slow, so you might have to predict where the target will go, depending on how fast it is.
- In SP, the Rocket Launcher is great for taking out multiple enemies from a distance, thanks to its splash damage. Since most of the enemies in the game run in a straight line towards the player, he/she can goad them to cluster up, then start firing at one of them. The splash damage from the rocket will affect the others, allowing you to soften up the masses while you take out a target.
- The RL is also a strong weapon on its own, being able to kill Gunners, Iron Maidens, Technicians and Parasites with two rockets, three rockets to eliminate Icaruses and Medics, and take out Gladiators and Brains with four rockets.
- Is not recommendable to use the Rocket Launcher against Berserkers or Mutants, as they will run at speed towards the player and he/she may get caught in the splash radius if the enemy in question gets too close after firing, player may take some damage if he/she is using this weapon in close quarters as well.
- In MP, the Rocket Launcher is an effective weapon if used properly. Because the rockets are somewhat slow, predicting where your target will be is an important skill to master. Since the rockets are slower than they are in other Quake games, you should really focus on hitting the ground near your target instead of making a direct impact. Jumping around your target is a great way to prevent getting hit, but don't forget that they'll be doing the same.
- Don't forget that you can Rocket Jump up to greater heights, which is a very important skill on some maps, such as Q2DM1.
|Expansions||The Reckoning · Ground Zero|
|Enemies||Light Guard · Machine Gun Guard · Shotgun Guard · Barracuda Shark · Enforcer · Berserker · Gunner · Flyer · Parasite · Mutant · Brains · Medic · Icarus · Technician · Gladiator · Iron Maiden · Tank · Tank Commander|
|Bosses||Tank Boss · Hornet · Jorg · Makron|
|Weapons||Blaster · Shotgun · Super Shotgun · Machine Gun · Chain Gun · Grenade · Grenade Launcher · Rocket Launcher · Railgun · Hyperblaster · BFG10k|
|Powerups||Adrenaline · Armor Shard · Jacket Armor · Combat Armor · Body Armor · Ammo Pack · Bandolier · Enviro-Suit · Invulnerability · Key · Megahealth · Quad Damage · Rebreather · Silencer · Stimpack|