|“||Never before have the forces aligned. United by name and by cause, The Fallen, Pagans, Crusaders, Intruders, and Stroggs must channel their power into an allied operation where teamwork is the only method of mass destruction. Four distinct games test each troop's synthesis and strength to exacting degrees. Cooperation is the only course of action, and war, the only alternative. Soldiers once alone in their struggle, now face the Arena as one.||”|
Quake III: Team Arena, often abbreviated TA or Q3:TA, is the expansion pack for Quake III Arena. Team Arena was Released by id Software on December 18, 2000.
The game has a Single Player mode as well - it does not have a Tier system and is more arcade-like. Players are free to play the maps in any order they prefer, and in any mode they like. After a map is finished, statistics (completion time, frags, accuracy, etc.) and any earned Medals are saved and displayed on the map selection screen. The statistics can be updated when the map is played again, especially if the player has improved his performance.
Players can choose which team they belong to, as well as which will be the enemy team.
Single Player also features a tournament mode, whose gameplay is like the original Quake 3 Arena: a 1-on-1 combat against a bot. Two new bots have been added specifically for this game mode - Pi and Fritzkrieg.
Both NPC bots and player now have access to voice commands which are recorded reactions to use in teamplay.
Main article: Team Arena Clans
With the exception of the Tournament mode characters, all other bots are members of the 5 clans that fight for dominance over the Arena. Each clan has its own strengths and weaknesses and it is up to the players to adjust their strategy accordingly.
Main Article: Team Arena Maps
The expansion pack features 20 new maps belonging to several categories. There is a good variety, ranging from very small to absolutely huge maps, designed for very large teams and prolonged gameplay.
Bots (Tournament mode)Edit
- Kamikaze: kills the player and damages or pushes everyone in the blast radius, when used or 3 seconds after the player dies, if his body is not gibbed. The kamikaze does instant damage to the player and everybody else, except for the users of the Invulnerability item, or the Battle Suit powerup. A deep gong sound effect heralds the respawning of this item and its use will shake the entire map.
- Invulnerability Shield: A pink shield which protects the player for a short amount of time and deflects projectiles back to whoever fired them. But this power-up also completely immobilizes and freezes the player even mid-air. The Prox Launcher can penetrate the shields and will "juice" and gibs the player after the mine has been penetrated to shields for a short time.
Runes always spawn within the team's home base. Once picked up, they last until the player dies and are not available for pickup by another player. Once the original holder is dead, the powerup will reappear and it can be picked up again - by the same player (after they respawn) or by another one. In Quake Live, Runes are kept in Arena CTF mode but their purpose and stats are altered to balance the gameplay.
- Scout: Double speed for quick run-ins and 25% increased fire rate; you can also rocket jump and plasma climb without taking splash damage. Used for taking control of important power-ups and hit and run techniques.
- Doubler: Double damage for People who want to help Scouts running for the enemy flag, or defend own base flag. Also known as Damage in Quake Live.
- Guard: Health and Armor Boost up 200 with Health Regen. Mainly used for defenders to keep attackers busy, but can be useful for attacking to run for enemy flag by withstanding their shots as well.
- Ammo-Regen: Regenerates ammo back to starter ammunition every 1½ seconds while increasing fire rate by 25%. Mainly used by Defenders who are planning to use heavy hitters. Also known as Armor Regen in Quake Live.
Team Arena is included in the compilation Quake III: Gold.
- Demo - Try a few maps from the expansion pack! http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake3-teamarena/index.php?game_section=demo
- id Software's official Quake III Team Arena
- Downloads from GameFront
- PURCHASE from STEAM
- Youtube Walkthrough by Lingyan203
|Quake III: Team Arena|
|Characters||Callisto · Flayer · Fritzkrieg · Gammy · Gaunt · James · Janet · Khan · Megan · Morgan · Neptune · Pi · Ursula|
|Weapons||Chain Gun · Nailgun · Proximity Launcher|
|Powerups||Ammo-Regen · Doubler · Guard· Invulnerability Shield · Kamikaze · Scout|
|Expansions of Quake|
|Quake||Scourge of Armagon · Dissolution of Eternity · Dimensions of the Past|
|Quake II||The Reckoning · Ground Zero · Extremities|
|Quake III||Team Arena|