|“||Never before have the forces aligned. United by name and by cause, The Fallen, Pagans, Crusaders, Intruders, and Stroggs must channel their power into an allied operation where teamwork is the only method of mass destruction. Four distinct games test each troop's synthesis and strength to exacting degrees. Cooperation is the only course of action, and war, the only alternative. Soldiers once alone in their struggle, now face the Arena as one.||”|
Quake III: Team Arena, often abbreviated TA or Q3:TA, is the expansion pack for Quake III Arena. Team Arena was Released by id Software on December 18, 2000.
Team Arena focused on team multiplayer, as its name implies; it introduced new weapons, bots, maps and powerups, including the infamous Kamikaze.
The game has a Single Player mode as well - it does not have a Tier system and is more arcade-like. Players are free to play the maps in any order they prefer, and in any mode they like. After a map is finished, statistics (completion time, frags, accuracy, etc.) and any earned Medals are saved and displayed on the map selection screen. The statistics can be updated when the map is played again, especially if the player has improved his performance.
Players can choose which team they belong to, as well as which will be the enemy team.
Single Player also features a tournament mode, whose gameplay is like the original Quake 3 Arena: a 1-on-1 combat against a bot. Two new bots have been added specifically for this game mode - Pi and Fritzkrieg.
Main article: Team Arena Clans
With the exception of the Tournament mode characters, all other bots are members of the 5 clans that fight for dominance over the Arena. Each clan has its own strengths and weaknesses and it is up to the players to adjust their strategy accordingly.
Main Article: Team Arena Maps
The expansion pack features 20 new maps belonging to several categories. There is a good variety, ranging from very small to absolutely huge maps, designed for very large teams and prolonged gameplay.
Bots (Tournament mode)Edit
- Kamikaze: kills the player and damages or pushes everyone in the blast radius, when used or 3 seconds after the player dies, if his body is not gibbed. The kamikaze does instant damage to the player and everybody else, except for the users of the Invulnerability item, or the Battle Suit powerup. A deep gong sound effect heralds the respawning of this item and its use will shake the entire map.
- Invulnerability Shield: A pink shield which protects the player for a short amount of time and deflects projectiles back to whoever fired them. But this power-up also completely immobilizes and freezes the player even mid-air. The Prox Launcher can penetrate the shields and will "juice" and gibs the player after the mine has been penetrated to shields for a short time.
These always spawn within the team's home base. Once picked up, they last until the player dies and are not available for pickup by another player. Once the original holder is dead, the powerup will reappear and it can be picked up again - by the same player (after they respawn) or by another one.
- Scout: Double speed for quick run-ins; you can also rocket jump and plasma climb without taking damage.
- Doubler: Double damage for People who want to help Scouts.
- Guard: Health & Armor Boost + Health Regen. Mainly used for defenders,but can be useful for attackers as well.
- Ammo-Regen: Regenerates ammo up to Max... Mainly used by Defenders. Also known as Armor Regen in Quake Live and it regenerates Armor up to 100.
Team Arena is included in the compilation Quake III: Gold.
- Demo - Try a few maps from the expansion pack! http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake3-teamarena/index.php?game_section=demo
- id Software's official Quake III Team Arena
- Downloads from GameFront
- PURCHASE from STEAM
- Youtube Walkthrough by Lingyan203
|Quake III: Team Arena|
|Characters||Callisto · Flayer · Fritzkrieg · Gammy · Gaunt · James · Janet · Khan · Megan · Morgan · Neptune · Pi · Ursula|
|Weapons||Chain Gun · Nailgun · Proximity Launcher|
|Powerups||Ammo-Regen · Doubler · Guard· Invulnerability Shield · Kamikaze · Scout|
|Expansions of Quake|
|Quake||Scourge of Armagon · Dissolution of Eternity|
|Quake II||The Reckoning · Ground Zero|
|Quake III||Team Arena|