|Damage Per Hit||
5 Rounds only
Proximity Mines (pink; changes to team colors)
|Rate of Fire||
1 mine per second
700 units per second
low, travels in an arc
Medium range of 2,100 units
Anything that can fire at range.
In Team Arena, the Proximity Launcher, or "Prox", fires mines that explode when an enemy gets near them. These mines can stick to walls. Mines cannot be detonated by the player; only when an enemy gets near them or splash damage weapons cause them to set off.
- The Proximity Launcher should be viewed as a tool instead of a weapon. It's best use is to deny enemies the chance to use certain paths. Tight paths (such as hallways) should be filled with mines so that your defense can focus on large entrances. They can also be placed on flags in case the enemy is getting too close and you have no time to seal some paths with mines.
- When placing mines, try to hide them. Getting the drop on enemies can surprise them enough for them to retreat, especially if the mines took off most of their health.
- A hallway full of mines can be cleaned with clever Rocket Launcher or Plasma Gun shots. Inflicted blast damage will set tightly placed mine groups easily.
- Proximity Mines deal no splash damage to their carrier, but their blast forces can send anyone skyward high. Wielder can use that on his or her advantage and perform higher propelling rocket-jumps. Performing a rocket jump on your own mine will send you even higher, allowing you to make quick dives to the enemy base without the Scout Power-up. Since mines have short arming sequences, the player should wait for them to arm first or at least time the rocket jump. Once mastered, the player can advance in the air pretty easily.
- If an enemy has the Invulnerability Shield, fire away. The mines can go through the shield and the enemy will be "juiced" after few seconds and the player earns a frag.
- If a mine directly intersects with player, a message will show that he/she has been mined, after few seconds another message will shown that his/her internal combustion will be started in 5 seconds.
- The Proximity Launcher is a powerful tool on defense in Capture the Flag. If the enemy needs a jumper to get to your flag, place mines at the end of the jumper for a devious defensive trap. If you're feeling even more devious, you can trap the area under the flag for an hilarious, but mainly deadly, trap.
- Place mines on walls and ceilings where they're hard to spot. If the enemy sees mines on the ground, they'll know not to follow you. If you follow this trap, try not to hold the weapon out while you preform it, which may make it obvious.
|Quake III: Team Arena|
|Characters||Callisto · Flayer · Fritzkrieg · Gammy · Gaunt · James · Janet · Khan · Megan · Morgan · Neptune · Pi · Ursula|
|Weapons||Chain Gun · Nailgun · Proximity Launcher|
|Powerups||Ammo-Regen · Doubler · Guard· Invulnerability Shield · Kamikaze · Scout|