5'8" (172.72 cm)
130 lbs (58.968 kg)
Johann Strauss possesses one of the most gifted minds of our age.
By the time he was 4 years old, Strauss could perform complex trigonometry equations in his head. At the age of 8 he was fluent in six languages and could recite all of Shakespeare's works from memory. He was part of the research team that discovered how the Strogg used black holes to travel across the vast distances of space. He currently holds a Ph.D. in advanced computer science and in biotechnology and is one of eight people fluent in the Strogg language. In keeping with his genius status, Strauss also has a tremendous ego and can be extremely brash. He would have remained in research were it not for a run-in with General Nathaniel Hastings. Strauss insulted the general so badly that he found himself on the front lines a week after the argument. While in the field, Strauss found he excelled in working with Strogg technology. Because of his talents, he was assigned to Rhino Squad. Now they receive missions deep in enemy territory that require interaction with Strogg security and computer systems.
Strauss figures out a way to destroy the core by shutting down its coolant systems after the EMP bomb is destroyed. He is believed to be killed in the Tetranode/Nexus Hub by the Strogg after Cpl. Matthew Kane is captured by the Makron in the coolant system chamber, however after returning to the Hannibal, he is seen in the briefing room (he claims to have escaped capture on his own, however 'Sledge' and the rest of the squad believe he was helped). He helps in the destruction of the Nexus during Operation: Last Hope (during which he sometimes talks to Kane to give advice, or to just comment on things like the Strogg Core's technology level).
- Main article: Johann Strauss/Quotes
- Born in Düsseldorf, Germany, Strauss serves as the Tech Marine for Rhino Squad.
- He is armed with a Machine Gun thoughout the game.
- Strauss was valedictorian of his class for all four of his PhD's.
- He is deathly afraid of bees.
- He also is highly concerned about his safety, his conversation involving this can be heard throughout the game.
- His name is likely based on Johann Strauss I or II, both famous German music composers in the nineteenth century.