|Damage Per Hit||
Grenades (dark green)
|Rate of Fire||
75 rpm (1 grenade per 800 milliseconds)
700 units per second
In Quake 3 Arena the Grenade Launcher (or simply GL) tosses grenades. The grenades explode after only 2.5 seconds, but that's still longer to explode than in previous incarnations. In addition, they have an exaggerated bounce, making it difficult to time the explosion just right for killing foes. Grenade Launcher is more of an utility for close range area denial, beyond a weapon.
- Because of how long it is for grenades to explode, the GL should generally not be used as a weapon to fight an opponent with. Slow projectile speed combined with slow fuse, makes it a risky weapon on close combat. It's rather an utility that you seek the comfort of it in a 1v1 match.
- If you want to fight an enemy with the GL, remember that you need to make direct impacts with the grenade. Otherwise, the grenades will harmlessly bounce away from where you are fighting
- Especially if you are trying to run backwards or planning to retreat somehow; try to bounce them off the surfaces like rear walls and the ground.
- The GL is useful for killing unaware players or block the health or armor pickups that they're about to take with low ground rolls, also the GL is good for area-denial, covering the important rooms and objectives. Where you don't have direct view of your foe, you can pepper lower levels or important pickups to repel them or foil their baits.
- Use it to cover your tracks when you're retreating, to pepper the entrances to an area, leave a gift to the opponent after swap taking teleporters, and to launch a surprise attack on two people fighting. Otherwise, don't use it. If you have to fight somebody, take out your Machine Gun.
- Rocket Launcher (Q3) can be used to set off grenades when shot nearby. Blast radius will be enough to set off grenades and will make foes think twice before entering a narrow gate. 2 grenade blobs will be more than enough to cover a large area with a rocket blast set off. Especially useful when shutting your tracks at the corners from a closing-up chaser.
- Because the GL make less noise than Rocket Launcher, it can be useful if you are being chased and you are in corridor-like area, turn around and dump a few grenade, you foes will either being hit by grenades or stop, which gives you time to escape.
- If you can, try to lure your target into a small corner so that he'll be affected by splash damage from the grenades that didn't hit him. Doing so will make it easier for you to kill him with one direct impact.
- Bouncing grenades off from walls or ground will generally surprise the opponent and a well made spray with another weapon like the Plasma Gun or the Lightning Gun will fend them off to the grenade blasts.
- If you see somebody with it, it usually means they're trying to run away. If they don't notice you, shoot them a few times, because they're probably pretty weak as-is. If they retreat, run away, because they'll try to lure you in a few grenades as well.
- If you see two or more players fighting in the distance, fire a few grenades at time. Usually, at least one of the grenades will damage or kill an opponent. Doing this might anger some players, but some would consider such outbursts part of the fun of spamming grenades.
- The GL's icon is a frag grenade, but the grenades shot by the GL look nothing like a frag grenade.
- The GL's appearance is similar to the one used by Ogres in Quake.
|Characters||Anarki · Angel · Biker · Bitterman · Bones · Cadaver · Crash · Daemia · Doom · Gorre · Grunt · Hossman · Hunter · Keel · Klesk · Lucy · Major · Mynx · Orbb · Patriot · Phobos · Ranger · Razor · Sarge · Slash · Sorlag · Stripe · Tank Jr. · Uriel · Visor · Wrack · Xaero|
|Weapons||BFG 10K · Gauntlet · Grenade Launcher · Lightning Gun · Machine Gun · Plasma Gun · Railgun · Rocket Launcher · Shotgun|
|Powerups||Armor(Light)(Heavy) · Armor Shard · Battle Suit · Flight · Haste · Invisibility · Megahealth · Personal Medkit · Quad Damage · Regeneration · Stimpack · Teleporter|