|Damage Per Hit||
50 per slice
Slicing and knockback
|Rate of Fire||
Single slice every 400 milliseconds
Melee range of 32 units
In Quake 3 Arena and 4 multiplayer, the Gauntlet is a circular-saw-like melee weapon that, with the Machine Gun, is one of the weapons a player has when he spawns in. If somebody is killed with it, the announcer says "Humiliation!".
- The Gauntlet is the weapon to humiliate somebody with! If you've managed to take off a lot of somebody's health, but they haven't died, run up to them and kill them with it.
- If you have to use the Gauntlet as a real weapon, try to surprise the enemy by hitting them in the back. Ambush your enemies from the corners, from the side or when they're distracted by pickups or other opponents. Rushing them plainly from the front will most likely get you killed.
- Crouch and walk around corners or important pickups to catch unaware players who are distracted by noises, combat or pickups infront of them.
- Seek height advantage to drop on foes or wait around corners to listen footsteps to suckerpunch someone. LG and RG emits low buzz and abyssal humming sounds, listen for them. If you are standing on top of an opponents head and they aren't aware, give them a warm welcome to the world of pain with your gauntlet.
- If you see somebody with the Gauntlet and you are being targeted, run away and fire at them. As long as you're moving away from them, it'll be difficult for them to get up to you and attack. Be careful not to back into a wall though; if you do, you're dead meat.
- Unlike Fists from the earlier games, the Gauntlet will make sound while equipped, this will give warning to the friend and foe alike.
- Being an unique type weapon, Gauntlet generates invisible short ranged bullets to hit detect. Gauntlet once it contacts it deals 50 damage then knocks away the victim, without adding extra damage. That ability would be useful to keep the close enemies away from the pickups you're about to take and "deny" them. At the other hand it tosses them away from you so you lose your chance to make a second contact under a second.
- Considering the high rate of fire and damage output, this weapon can be more useful than it seems. If you encounter a group of players fighting in close quarters and you have height advantage, it may be worth your while to pull out the Gauntlet and dive into the fray. It is better if your foes don't see you before you attack, so you need to jump out from a cover or drop on them from above.
- If you have a Shotgun, you should never need the Gauntlet.
- With Quad Damage combination with the Gauntlet, you would kill full health enemies with a single slice.
- It isn't just a weapon for if you run out of ammo, if you sneak up on someone or if you're in melee range, you can cause the opponent a hard time. Some weapons can't keep up with the high damage output of the gauntlet or the close-range effect of it. In Quake 4, with the blaster removed in multiplayer, the Gauntlet is your weapon if all other weapons are empty.
- Consider switching to a gauntlet to save ammo if you are sure you can kill the cornered opponent. You never know when you might run out of ammo and have the weapon switch leave you vulnerable.
- Rocket Jump! Use rocket jumps behind covers to send you flying at high speed, allowing a perfect opportunity to pull out your gauntlet within' airsteering and not only humiliate your opponent, humiliate them at the speed of sound.
- A tricky strategy is to use the Rocket Launcher to bounce an enemy directly into your Gauntlet. A variantion of this strategy is to use the knockback of your Rocket Launcher to get them into a corner, where the Gauntlet excels.
|Characters||Anarki · Angel · Biker · Bitterman · Bones · Cadaver · Crash · Daemia · Doom · Gorre · Grunt · Hossman · Hunter · Keel · Klesk · Lucy · Major · Mynx · Orbb · Patriot · Phobos · Ranger · Razor · Sarge · Slash · Sorlag · Stripe · Tank Jr. · Uriel · Visor · Wrack · Xaero|
|Weapons||BFG 10K · Gauntlet · Grenade Launcher · Lightning Gun · Machine Gun · Plasma Gun · Railgun · Rocket Launcher · Shotgun|
|Powerups||Armor(Light)(Heavy) · Armor Shard · Battle Suit · Flight · Haste · Invisibility · Megahealth · Personal Medkit · Quad Damage · Regeneration · Stimpack · Teleporter|
|Enemies||Berserker · Convoy · Flyers · Gladiator · Grunt · Guard (Light Guard · Machine Gun Guard · Shotgun Guard) · Gunner · Harvester · Hornet · Iron Maiden · Repair Bot · Scientist · Sentry · Tactical Strogg · Tank (Light)(Heavy) · Teleport Dropper · Turret · Zombie|
|Bosses||Stream Protector · Voss · Network Guardian · Makron · Nexus|
|Weapons||Blaster · Dark Matter Gun · Gauntlet · Grenade Launcher · Hyperblaster · Lightning Gun · Machine Gun · Nailgun · Napalm Launcher · Railgun · Rocket Launcher · Shotgun|
|Powerups||Armor Shard · Armor(Small Armor · Light Armor · Large Armor · Heavy Armor) · Haste · Invisibility · Megahealth · Quad Damage · Regeneration · Stimpack|