The Wind Tunnels is the fifth level of The Netherworld. This level gets its name for the almost exclusive feature found throughout the level, the Wind Tunnel. The level's overall color scheme deviates from what is typical for the episode, as most of the walls are made of rusty metal. The Wind Tunnels take the player to the different parts of the level, consisting of a series of rooms connected by wide hallways, a system of underwater tunnels, and an outdoor Water reservoir.
Quick Level Completion
- Go forward and jump into the Wind Tunnel.
- Go forward and jump into the left Wind Tunnel.
- Follow the corridor to a Button to the right of a room with a pool of Water.
- Drop into the newly opened hole, and follow the corridor to deep enough Water to swim in.
- Follow the corridor to the platform of the 3 Wind Tunnels.
- Jump into the middle Wind Tunnel, then go forward and jump into another Wind Tunnel.
- Turn right and drop into the pool of Water, then go to the newly opened Wind Tunnel and jump into it.
- When you land, press the nearby Button.
- Turn around and follow the corridor to a room with a hole in the shape of a slanted ring.
- Drop into the hole into the water and follow the corridor back to the platform of the 3 Wind Tunnels.
- Jump into the right Wind Tunnel to the exit room.
Go up the staircase straight ahead. Collect the 2 Nails to the left, and the Shells to the right of the Wind Tunnel. Collect the two 25 Health to the right of the staircase. Go underneath the Wind Tunnel and jump to get to the next room. Kill the Fiend behind you, and collect the two 25 Health behind the Wind Tunnel. Dive into the Water on the perimeter of the room to collect the two 15 Health . There is a hole in the middle of the room, but it only leads to two Barred hallways, thus return to the platform above. Kill the 2 Scrags between the 3 Wind Tunnels straight ahead. Collect the 2 Nails to the right, two 15 Health to the left, and Cells in the upper left corner of the room. Only the left Wind Tunnel is open, so jump into that Wind Tunnel. Kill the Death Knight at the top on the balcony, and collect the 2 Shells to the left side of the area below the balcony. Turn right and go around the Wind Tunnel to collect the Green Armor. Continue turning to the two 25 Health . To the left from the start of the room is a staircase, collect the Nails to the left and Thunderbolt to the right. Go up the staircase, turn right, and then left to a corridor with a Fiend. Collect the two 25 Health, and at the end turn left to a corridor with Shells. At the corner before the turn you just made, drop into the small hole by the wall (#1). At the end turn left and kill the Fiend. Collect the Nails and turn right, killing the Death Knight in the Water pool room. Kill the Ogre to the left by the Water pool, collect the Biosuit to the left of it, and the 2 Rockets to the right. The Wind Tunnel is blocked off, so collect the two 25 Health to the right of the stairs, press the Button to the left, and go up them to the hole unblocked by the Button . Drop down to the Water, and turn around to kill an Ogre. Follow the corridor to the end, where 2 Scrags will rise out of the Water that can be dived into. Swim to a 15 Health and an open set of Bars, which is because this is the left Barred passageway in the Water of the 3 Wind Tunnel room. Return to the platform above, and collect the Nails below the newly opened middle Wind Tunnel. Jump to the next room.
At the top kill the Scrag. Collect the 2 Shells to the left of the staircase, and two 25 Health to the right. Behind you is a Barred doorway, but in the lower right corner are Nails. Turn back to the staircase and go down them. Kill the Ogre at the bottom. Collect the 2 Nails and Green Armor, and turn left to collect a 15 Health. Drop into the Water and swim back to the first room, and then the opposite side of the pillar, to collect Rockets. Return to the other room's platform. On the opposite side of the pillar from the doorway to get to the two rooms in the Water, in the lower platform room, is a doorway that you can swim through (#2). In the middle of the room is a Wind Tunnel you can jump into. The Bars in the previous room will open and you will be propelled through it, collecting Shells as you land. Turn right and kill the Scrag . Collect the two 15 Health and drop to the Water below, which is the pool of the pool room. As you land a Scrag will spawn. Collect the Nails under the now opened Wind Tunnel, and jump into it while facing towards the Water. The Wind Tunnel will take you to a large hole you will drop through, but if you are moving back you can get out of the push of the wind and land on a platform with an Ogre. Collect the two 25 Health and the Quad Damage, than either jump into the hole you would have fallen through in the wall or drop through the hole in the floor. Either way you will drop into a room with a Death Knight and two 4 Nail Traps on torches, or 8 Nail Traps altogether. Turn around to face the torches, collect the 2 Cells to the left and the two 25 Health to the right, and press the Button in the middle. A Wall will open to the right of the opposite side of the room and a Death Knight will come out. Collect a 15 Health and Green Armor inside, as well as Rockets and Nails to the left on the opposite side of the room from the Button . Turn left through the doorway in the middle of this side of the room while collecting 2 Nails, and kill an Ogre. Avoid the 3 Nail Traps in the floor and collect the two 25 Health on the right side of the corridor. Turn left at the end and collect the Nails and 25 Health. In the next room, the slanted ring Water room, turn right and kill the Shambler. Collect a 25 Health and Nails to the left, and the three 15 Health and Nails to the right. Turn around, look to the purple sky, and shoot the Button on the pillar closer to the doorway to open a Wall on the right side from the doorway (#3). Drop down the ring to the floor below and kill the 2 Fiends . Collect the 2 Shells to the left and the two 25 Health to the right, then drop into the Water in the middle of the slanted ring. Collect a 15 Health by the opened Bars, for this is the right Barred passageway in the Water of the 3 Wind Tunnel room. Return to the platform above, kill the Scrag that spawns on the far side by the starting Wind Tunnel, and collect a 25 Health below the newly opened right Wind Tunnel. Jump to the next room. Kill the 2 Scrags and collect a 25 Health by the Rune Gate. Before exiting the level however, shoot the sunken Wall in the floor to open a hole that can be jumped into (#4).
Differences from Easy to Normal
- 3rd Scrag in 3 Wind Tunnel room
- 2nd Death Knight on balcony of (#1)
- Fiend to right of start of long corridor of the left Wind Tunnel
- Fiend on last turn of long corridor of the left Wind Tunnel
- 2 Scrags in the Water pool room
- 2nd Scrag on upper platform of first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- 2nd Ogre on the lower platform of the first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- No 15 Health on the lower platform of the first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- 2nd Scrag in Wind Tunnel above Water pool room
- 2nd Scrag spawns on return to Water pool room
- 2nd Ogre by Quad Damage on room above 8 Nail Traps
- 2nd Death Knight in 8 Nail Trap room
- Fiend replaces Death Knight behind Movable Wall in 8 Nail Trap room
- 2 Ogres in doorway to slanted ring Water room
- 2 Scrags in Water in slanted ring Water room
- 2nd Scrag spawns on final return to 3 Wind Tunnel room
- Ogre by Rune Gate
Differences from Normal to Hard/Nightmare
- 2nd and 3rd Fiend in 3 Wind Tunnel room
- Death Knight in first room of the left Wind Tunnel
- Fiend replaces Ogre in Water tunnel leading back to middle room from left passageway of 3 Wind Tunnel
- 3rd Scrag on upper platform of first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- Fiend between two platforms of first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- Shambler to left of entrance to slanted ring Water room
- 2nd Ogre by Rune Gate
|(#1)||At the first turn of the long corridor of the left Wind Tunnel, drop into a small hole by the corner. Collect the Nails and go through the Teleporter onto the balcony overlooking the top of the left Wind Tunnel. Collect the Quad Damage and two 25 Health, and jump onto the small balcony to the right at the end of the balcony you are on. Follow it around to Rockets.|
|(#2)||On the lower platform of the first room of the middle Wind Tunnel, dive into the Water in the middle of the ring. There shall be a doorway you will be facing to swim through, and then can swim up to an alcove. Collect the Rocket Launcher, two 25 Health, and 2 Nails .|
|(#3)||In the slanted ring Water room, go to the far left or right side and shoot the Button on the pillar closest to the doorway that replaces a normal ceiling to open up a Wall on the right side from the entrance doorway. Collect the Nails, 25 Health, and Biosuit.|
|(#4)||Shoot the Floor that is sunken in front of the Rune Gate to open it to a hole below. Stay by the edge when you drop to avoid dropping into the Teleporter below. Collect the 2 Nails and two 25 Health, then jump into the Teleporter to return to the 3 Wind Tunnel room.|
- The player can Rocket Jump or Grenade Jump high enough in the Water pool room that it triggers the Wind Tunnel in the room to open.
- Nailgun to left of start
- Double-Barrelled Shotgun in 3 Wind Tunnel room
- No Nails under middle Wind Tunnel in 3 Wind Tunnel room.
- Super Nailgun in first room of the left Wind Tunnel
- Rocket Launcher in Water pool room
- Teleporter in Water pool room leading to 3 Wind Tunnel room replaces the two 25 Health
- Return of 15 Health on the lower platform of the first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- Nailgun below Wind Tunnel on lower platform of the first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- 100 Health replaces Rocket Launcher and only Nails in (#2)
- Super Nailgun in 8 Nail Trap room
- Rockets at corner of 3 Nail Trap corridor
- Grenade Launcher on lower platform of slanted ring Water room
- Nailgun and second 25 Health by Rune Gate
- Corner of 3 Nail Trap corridor
- Rune Gate
- Lower platform of the first room of the middle Wind Tunnel
- First room of the left Wind Tunnel
|E3M4: Satan's Dark Delight
E3M7: the Haunted Halls
|Quake Levels||E3M6: Chambers of Torment|