The House of Chthon is the seventh and last level of Dimension of the Doomed. It consists of a large pool of Lava surrounded by corridors and a series of catwalks. At its two opposing ends are a small balcony with the first Rune on it, and a deep shaft leading to the Exit Gate.
Suspended above the pool is a large device that can produce a powerful electrical discharge called an Electric Terminal. The Electric Terminals can be moved down, in order to zap the fearsome guardian that emerges from beneath the lava's surface, Chthon.
Quick Level Completion
- Take the Rune straight ahead.
- Go around either side to the elevator.
- Go to the left or right Floorplate at the top.
- Run to the other Floorplate.
- Run to the Floorplate in the middle.
- Drop to the new platform below.
- Drop into the hole in the middle to the exit room.
Take the Rune in front of the player and Chthon will rise out of the pool of Lava. Take either the left or right hand path around the pool and grab a 100 Health before riding the lift to the first floor. Activate the two Floorplates to either side of the arena to lower the Electric Terminals. Dodge Chthon's Lavaballs as you do this. Activate the Floorplate at the far end of the arena to activate the Electric Terminals and electrocute Chthon. Chthon will sink back into the Lava, and a platform will slide out on the first floor below the Floorplate that makes the Electric Terminals fire electricity. Fall down the hole in the wall next to the middle of the platforms to arrive next to the Exit Gate. As you step through, 12 Shamblers and 8 Zombies will die in a celebratory fashion that resembles confetti.
Differences from Easy to Normal
Differences from Normal to Hard/Nightmare
- The 100 Health has been removed.
- The Floorplates that lower the Electric Terminals are closer to the wall, forcing you to stop briefly or at least change direction in order to press them.
- Chthon will lead his shots.
|Zombie||0 (8)||0 (8)||0 (8)||8 Zombies in an area inaccessible to players, die upon completion|
|Shambler||0 (12)||0 (12)||0 (12)||12 Shamblers in an area inaccessible to players, die upon completion|
|Total||1 (21)||1 (21)||1 (21)|
- The player may Grenade Jump or Rocket Jump to any of the upper floor Floorplates from the lower floor.
- The player may Grenade Jump or Rocket Jump to any of the upper floor Floorplates from another upper floor Floorplate.
- The player may also Grenade Jump or Rocket Jump on Chthon's head to get to the opposite side of the room.
- In Cooperative mode, if all players are killed, Chthon will become passive until damaged by the Electric Terminals.
|“||As the corpse of the monstrous entity Chthon sinks back into the lava whence it rose, you grip the Rune of Earth Magic tightly. Now that you have conquered the Dimension of the Doomed, realm of Earth Magic, you are ready to complete your task in the other three haunted lands of Quake. Or are you? If you don't register Quake, you'll never know what awaits you in the Realm of Black Magic, the Netherworld, and the Elder World!||”|
—End of Shareware
|“||As the corpse of the monstrous entity Chthon sinks back into the lava whence it rose, you grip the Rune of Earth Magic tightly. Now that you have conquered the Dimension of the Doomed, realm of Earth Magic, you are ready to complete your task. A Rune of magic power lies at the end of each haunted land of Quake. Go forth, seek the totality of the four Runes!||”|
—First Rune Collected
- Grenade Launcher by entrance
- The Rune of Earth Magic is replaced with Quad Damage
- Following the left lower passageway from the entrance, there is a Super Nailgun, Shells, Nails, Nailgun, and more Shells
- Following the right lower passageway from the entrance, there is a Double-Barrelled Shotgun, Shells, Nails, and more Shells
- 100 Health is back just before the elevator
- Button on right lower passageway slides the platform originally caused by Chthon's death
- Super Nailgun by bottom floor of elevator
- Following the left upper passageway from the elevator, there is a Rocket Launcher, Rockets, and two 25 Health
- Following the right upper passageway from the elevator, there is a Grenade Launcher, Rockets, and two 25 Health
- Three 25 Health on each side of the end of the upper passageways from the elevator
- 2 platforms on each side of the upper passageways
- Double-Barrelled Shotgun on archway on upper floor, above the Quad Damage
- One spawn for each platform on the upper passageway
- By Quad Damage
- By Double-Barrelled Shotgun
- By Floorplate for Electric Terminals.
- American McGee had designed this level to be an experiment, placing various scripts to test the functionality of various features of the engine. McGee was attempting to add some variation to the game by experimenting with a puzzle-solving element, "making the player do things other than just shooting enemies in the face". After the initial design, it was decided to make this level into a boss fight. 
- ↑ http://www.shacknews.com/article/101156/rocket-jump-quake-and-the-golden-age-of-first-person-shooters#chapter-1
|E1M6: The Door to Chthon||Quake Levels||Introduction|