- Real-time rendering of shadows and lights.
- Support for high resolutions, such as 1920x1200.
- Improved Quake C scripting.
- Interpolated model animations, meaning that models will look smooth while animated.
- Support for high-res textures and models.
- Enhanced particle effects.
- Support for external music.
Darkplaces supports external music to be played, To do this:
First create a directory under ID1 named sound.
Create a new directory under the sound folder named cdtracks.
Put the music files here, Can be either ogg or mp3. Ogg is mostly recommended, You can convert music files here 
Name them accordingly Ex: Track002.ogg Quake used Track001 for data, Name them until Track011.
Quake's soundtrack can be downloaded here