|Dark Matter Gun|
|Damage Per Hit||
|Rate of Fire||
In Quake 4, the Dark Matter Gun is a a very powerful weapon that fires balls of Dark Matter that can kill most enemies in one hit and most stronger enemies in 2 hits. It can also deal large amount of damage against bosses. When fired, the dark matter ball slowly travels through the air, much like the BFG10k blast, until it hits a wall. Most enemies will be sucked into the small blackhole and killed off whilst larger enemies will take a second shot to kill. On contact with a wall, the Dark Matter will explode dealing damage to nearby enemy caught in the blast radius.
The Dark Matter Gun is appeared to be another experimental Strogg weapon, the mounted variant is used only by Makron, and the man-portable variant used by the player can be found only once throughout the game, you will find it on your first visit in Data Storage Terminal.
- In single player, the Dark Matter Gun is very effective against all types of enemies. It can kill multiple weak enemies in one shot, and can take down a medium or strong enemy in a few shots. When fighting strong enemies, make sure that the projectile has enough room between an enemy and the wall behind it, or the black hole will do little damage or not enough to kill.
- The gun has a long and noticeable cool-off and reload period between shots, so be ready to hide or run if you fire and there are a lot of enemies in the room or just switch to other weapons, after the fight you can switch back and let it cool down and recharge.
- Ammo is rare, each core gives you 5 shots, so make sure to conserve it for strong enemies or groups of weak ones. Though its not necessary, the Dark Matter Gun should be saved for boss fights, especially in the final level, this weapon can make those difficult battles a little easier.
- In large area or outdoors, this weapon require the direct hit to deal maximum damage, if you miss, the enemies can easily get out of the damage radius. Wait and fire at your foe when they are close to maximize your chance, or get at close as you can to get a clear shot. In tight quarters or corridors however, this weapon is extremely effective.
- In Multiplayer, the Dark Matter Gun can kill an unarmored and healthy player in one shot if it hits them or they absorb enough damage from the explosion. In addition, it can harm nearby enemies.
- If you see someone with the Dark Matter Gun (though this is not common), try to go into an area that has a lot of places to hide. This will make it easier to hide from a Dark Matter blast, especially if you're trying to avoid the actual black hole. If you can see the projectile, you are most likely get hurt. After the enemy has fired and the black hole is gone, use the downtime between shots to attack the enemy with your strongest weapons, such as the Rocket Launcher or Railgun.
|Enemies||Berserker · Convoy · Gladiator · Grunt · Light Guard · Machine Gun Guard · Shotgun Guard) · Gunner · Harvester · Hornet · Iron Maiden · Repair Bot · Scientist · Sentry · Tactical Strogg · Tank (Light)(Heavy) · Teleport Dropper · Turret · Zombie|
|Bosses||Stream Protector · Voss · Network Guardian · Makron · Nexus|
|Weapons||Blaster · Dark Matter Gun · Gauntlet · Grenade Launcher · Hyperblaster · Lightning Gun · Machine Gun · Nailgun · Napalm Launcher · Railgun · Rocket Launcher · Shotgun|
|Powerups||Armor Shard · Small Armor/Light Armor · Large Armor/Heavy Armor · Haste · Megahealth · Quad Damage · Regeneration · Stimpack|