Claustrophobopolis is the second Deathmatch level of Quake. The name, which is a merging of the words claustrophobia and metropolis, comes from the overall tight nature of the map whilst being rather expansive. While lacking in Weapons, the level makes up for it in Armor and 100 Health Powerups, which means that this level is great for quickly building up a good defense. A single frag is more valuable here due to the ability of the other player to quickly restore their health. The various Traps and dark lighting contribute to this being a great level for campers. Many criticizers feel that too few kills causes the game to get boring, with the slower paced gameplay meaning that this map has been referred to at times as a "Counterstrike map". However, even with all the criticism, this level is one of the most popular Deathmatch maps packaged with the game.
This is the only level lacking its own music, meaning the music that the player hears in this level will come from the last music track played (which comes from whatever level the player was last on). For example, Conscience will continue playing if the player loads the level from the Demo screen. If accessing the level directly from Autoexec.cfg, no music track will play.
- Nailgun alcove of Water Room.
- In between staircases of Lava Staircase Room.
- Right alcove of Water Room.
- Staircase alcove of Lava Bridge Room.
- Shootable Button Room by corridor leading to Elevator.
- Pathway of the main portion of the Lava Bridge Room.
- Bottom of staircase of Multi-Level Hallway leading to Crucified Painting Room.
- One of the two staircases of Crucified Painting Room.
- Alcove at bottom of staircases in Lava Staircase Room.
Important Item Locations
- Double-Barrelled Shotgun - On pathway of the main portion of the Lava Bridge Room.
- Nailgun - On alcove between Water and unmarked staircase of Water Room.
- Grenade Launcher - Far alcove of upper floor of Crucified Painting Room.
- Rocket Launcher - In the center of the back half of the Shootable Button Room.
- Quad Damage - On the upper floor alcove of the Multi-Level Hallway.
- 100 Health - On opposite side of Lava in Lava Bridge room accessed by pressing Button in staircase alcove, which slides a Bridge to the Powerup.
- 100 Health - Far alcove of upper floor of Crucified Painting Room.
- Yellow Armor - On alcove behind Bars in Lava Staircase Room.
- Yellow Armor - 2 total, or one in each box, at the tops of the staircases in the Crucified Painting Room
- Red Armor - On alcove behind Movable Wall opened by hitting Shootable Button in Shootable Button Room.
- Red Armor - On opposite side of Lava in Lava Bridge room accessed by pressing Button in staircase alcove, which slides a Bridge to the Powerup.
Lava Staircase Room
- Yellow Armor in alcove behind Bars.
- Rockets in alcove at bottom of lower staircase.
- 25 Health at bottom of upper staircase.
- Bars in far corner from Lava.
- Button in alcove at bottom of lower staircase opens Bars.
- Teleporter in alcove behind Bars leads to the upper floor of the Crucified Painting Room.
- Red Armor behind Movable Wall opened by proximity from the inside; accessed by shooting Shootable Button in the Shootable Button Room and running through the Movable Wall in the hallway between the two rooms.
- Nailgun in alcove between Water and unmarked staircase.
- Nails in left alcove.
- Nails in corner next to marked staircase.
- 25 Health in far corner from Water.
- 25 Health and 15 Health on second floor corridor overlooking Nailgun.
Shootable Button Room
- Rocket Launcher in the center of the back half of the room.
- Two 25 Health in corner by hallway leading to Elevator.
- Elevator raises to corridor leading to Water Room .
- Shootable Button opens Movable Wall in corridor leading to Water Room .
- Corridor with 2 Moving Floors that slide over a pit of Lava leads to Crucified Painting Room.
- Quad Damage on the upper floor alcove.
- Rocket Launcher and Rockets in upper floor by Elevator leading to upper floor of Crucified Painting Room.
- Two 25 Health at top of lower floor staircase leading to Water Room.
- Two 25 Health on the upper floor alcove.
Crucified Painting Room
- 100 Health, Grenade Launcher, and Rockets in far alcove of upper floor.
- 2 Yellow Armors, one on each side of the room; both are found in a box that must be dropped into.
- 2 Buttons, or one near corridor with 2 Moving Floors and other near opposite side corridor, slides 2 Movable Walls, one for each box, so that a player trying to get a Yellow Armor is crushed.
- 2 Buttons, one in each box, causes the Floor to slide out and drop anybody in the room not currently on a staircase or in a box into the Lava below.
- 2 Teleporters, one in each box, allow the player to exit the box and reach the center of the room.
- The upper floor is made of two alcoves on opposite sides of the room which can be accessed by a Moving Platform sliding between them.
- Elevator on near alcove of upper floor leads to upper floor of Multi-Level Hallway.
- 100 Health and Red Armor on opposite side of Lava accessed by pressing Button in staircase alcove, which slides a Bridge to the Powerups.
- Double-Barrelled Shotgun on pathway in main section of the room.
- Nails at bottom of stairs leading to Shootable Button Room.
- Rockets in dooorway at top of stairs of main section looking at staircase alcove.
- Button in staircase alcove slides Bridge leading over Lava in main section of room; requires either a Rocket Jump to the doorway above the Button or to go up the staircase in the Shootable Button Room.
- Button on opposite side of Lava in main section of the room slides a Movable Wall to allow a quick return to the staircase alcove, this alcove has the Button which moves the Bridge to get to the area across the pit of Lava.
- Teleporter at bottom of staircase of main portion leads to one of the staircases in the Crucified Painting Room.
|DM1: Place of Two Deaths||Quake Levels||DM3: The Abandoned Base|