|Damage Per Hit||
BFG Ammo (blue)
120 units splash damage radius
|Rate of Fire||
2,000 units per second
Extremely long range of 20,000 units
In Quake 3 Arena, the BFG10K is a weapon that quickly fires deadly globs of plasma of an indescribed irradiated material -like uranium. These globs can kill an unarmored and healthy target in one hit, and inflict a large splash damage around the point of impact. Only a few maps have it.
The BFG10K is one of the few weapons that the players can blast themselves away with by being utterly careless and getting caught in already small splash radius. Instead of game feedback reading as he/she/it killed oneself with BFG, message comes up as "(Player/NPC) should have used a smaller gun.".
BFG stands for Bio Force Gun, although it is referred to as Big Fucking Gun. Some even refer to it as "Big Fragging Gun". The BFG10K in Quake 3 is sometimes viewed as an overpowered weapon. However, once you've got the BFG10K, you're essentially a higher priority target to other players among many others.
It is rare to deplete all ammunition from the BFG10K before getting fragged (unless you rapidly spend ammo). The BFG gets its name from the incredibly powerful BFG 9000 from the Doom series, a game also developed by id Software.
- The BFG10K is a very versatile weapon that can take out multiple foes quickly. It's essentially a fast-firing Rocket Launcher with firepower of a glorified Plasma Gun (so it is very different from the Quake2 variation), which makes it a great room clearer. Make sure to keep on moving so that it'll be harder for them to figure out where you are.
- Areas that have the BFG are usually hotly-contested areas. If you can, try to take control of the area the BFG is in at the start of the match. If not, try to slip in and take out the possessor behind his back, then finish off anybody that's left with it. If there are too many people, just ignore it. It's not worth constantly getting killed just for one weapon.
- Along with the other splash damage weapons, BFG can harm its user if he/she is too close to the impact point. The BFG can be used to Rocket Jump, a bit higher than a Rocket Launcher can carry you.
- Against one person, the BFG can wipe the target out with ease: it can wipe out an unarmored and healthy target in one blast. If a target gets near a point of impact, splash damage will take off most of, if not all of his health.
- When using the BFG, try to fire one-two shot at a time. Its high rate of fire, combined with its low ammo reserve, can quickly eat up your ammo. Look for BFG Ammo packs deliberately, each pack replenishes 15 which is a pretty nice ratio compared to its starter ammo of 20 shots.
- Always pick up BFG ammunition packs laying on the ground to reduce the BFG users' effectiveness in the map, whether you have the weapon or not. Add this small pickup to the list of important items when you see greenish "shooting stars" flying around.
- In Quake Live, BFG's fire rate is nerfed down to 3 shots per second (333ms reload time) from 5 shots per second (200ms reload time), and its splash radius is nerfed. With this change it's almost impossible to spam it without aiming at players directly. It now have almost no meaning of choking down points unless you have direct sights with your opponent.
- If you do get control of the area near the BFG, remember that extra BFGs only give out one extra unit of ammo (this does not apply in Quake Live, where each extra BFG will give you 10 more BFG cells), so be cautious, because the other players will also have this advantage, since it is multiplayer.
- Newly respawned players surely will have a hard time evading this beast of a firepower. Try reading the kill feedback often and momentarily position yourself away from hotspots, at the wide halls or corners where you can hear respawn noise from many different rooms to respawn kill and keep other players down. Remember you might miss onto important items if you keep at it for long.
- Try to lure a target into a closed area, so that it'll be harder for him to avoid splash damage. If your target is jumping, it should be shot on the floor near them so they will land on the blast area instead of evading it. Even with full Megahealth and Armor, 3-4 direct hits (2 with Quad Damage) is all it takes to take down an enemy.
- The BFG can be a good luring weapon. Pulling out a different, weaker weapon, like a Machine Gun, Gauntlet or a Plasma Gun, retreating, turning a corner and pulling out the BFG is a good way to catch people off guard. Make sure you do it quick, though, or you might have taken too much damage to effectively make use of the strategy.
- If you're fighting somebody that has the BFG, try to get into an open area so that it's harder for them to make a direct impact. Always be on the move and jump, even though the BFG's splash damage hurts, you'll be able to survive the blast.
- BFG has the one of smallest splash radius between missile based weapons. A simple BFG splash will deal relatively low damage compared to a rocket or grenade blast; due to damage could rapidly fall down depending on the target's distance from the center of the blast.
- If you see a BFG user in confined area, leave ASAP to a bigger room. Strafe jumping practice may come handy at this point. While you are avoiding projectiles fired from BFG, use more conventional weapons to choke him away or the Railgun if you are far enough to counter BFG user.
- Strongest weapon in the game
- Decent rate of fire
- Fast Projectiles
- Can wipe a newly respawned player easily
- Can be used to Rocket Jump (proceed with caution)
- EXTREMELY hazardous to use at close range due to splash damage and high fire rate (effects negated by battle suit in Quake 3)
- Smaller splash radius compared to other weapons in Quake Live
- Can eat through ammo quickly
- Ammo can be hard to come by, its ammo packs are as valuable as other important goodies
- Opponents will make you their priority target if they see you using it
- Most of the times difficult to acquire in maps; risks player getting shoved into hazards (ie. a Rocket Jump is required in Q3DM15)
|Characters||Anarki · Angel · Biker · Bitterman · Bones · Cadaver · Crash · Daemia · Doom · Gorre · Grunt · Hossman · Hunter · Keel · Klesk · Lucy · Major · Mynx · Orbb · Patriot · Phobos · Ranger · Razor · Sarge · Slash · Sorlag · Stripe · Tank Jr. · Uriel · Visor · Wrack · Xaero|
|Weapons||BFG 10K · Gauntlet · Grenade Launcher · Lightning Gun · Machine Gun · Plasma Gun · Railgun · Rocket Launcher · Shotgun|
|Powerups||Armor(Light)(Heavy) · Armor Shard · Battle Suit · Flight · Haste · Invisibility · Megahealth · Personal Medkit · Quad Damage · Regeneration · Stimpack · Teleporter|