|Rate of Fire||
2 blows per second
|“||The last resort. Face it -- going toe-to-toe with the uglies in Quake demonstrates all the good sense of a man parachuting into an alligator farm.||”|
The Axe is Quake’s melee Weapon. It does moderate damage and should not be used unless you find yourself in sudden close combat with few Shells. It's also useful to open secret doors and is an alternative if you do not wish to waste ammo.
- There is little valid reason to use the Axe in Quake, as ammo is usually plentiful especially for the Shotgun. This is in contrast to other first person shooters (including those by id Software) whose levels have a scarcity of ammo as well as a more powerful melee weapon. The axe should never really be used unless absolutely necessary.
- You can save ammo by using it to hit buttons instead of shooting them.
- The axe is useful in saving ammo against lone ogres. If you come across a stray ogre sneaking, pull out your axe, then run toward the ogre hit it once (or twice if you can time properly) then back just out of melee range, then run forward again and repeat. This is a time consuming method so it should only be used as a last resort.
- The Axe is only effective against Grunt, Rotfish, and Rottweilers. In fact, you can kill everything in E1M1: the Slipgate Complex with just the axe in Nightmare mode.
- Combined with a Quad Damage, the Axe can be a great way to conserve some ammo. It can kill Enforcers with only one hit, whereas weaker enemies will be instantly gibbed.
- Another idea would be use a weak weapon to leave low-class enemies helpless and run up to them with the axe and finish them off.
- The Axe is a great humiliation weapon! If you're feeling lucky, charge a critically-wounded enemy with it. It feels great letting the whole world know that you took somebody with the Axe.
- You wont be COMPLETELY unarmed if you waste your entire Ammo supply
- Is very useful for Ammo conservation
- Can kill Enemies in a few strikes with a Quad Damage
- Must be within close range to use
- Slow rate of fire
- Even trees will laugh at the base damage
- Player was ax-murdered by Attacker
|The axe being swung in the air|
|The axe hitting something solid and hard|
|The axe hitting somebody|
|Bosses||Chthon · Shub-Niggurath|
|Barriers and Hazards||Button · Door · Electric Pylon · Falling Spike · Guillotine · Lava · Laser Trap · Movable Wall · Nail Trap · Radioactive Container · Slime · Spiked Sphere · Teleporter · Unholy Altar · Water · Wind Tunnel|
|Level Exits||Arch · Exit Gate · Rune Gate · Slipgate|
|Powerups||15 Health · 25 Health · 100 Health · Armor(Green)(Yellow)(Red) · Biosuit · Key · Pentagram of Protection · Quad Damage · Ring of Shadows · Rune|
|Weapons||Axe · Shotgun · Double-Barrelled Shotgun · Nailgun · Super Nailgun · Grenade Launcher · Rocket Launcher · Thunderbolt|
|Ammo||Backpack · Shells · Nails · Rockets · Cells|
|Source ports||GLQuake · GLQuakeWorld · QuakeWorld · VQuake · WinQuake|
|Other||Crate · Dopefish|